How do I change my address on the Division of Water Right Records?
Click here to view instructions for changing your address with the Division of Water Rights. more...
How can I sign up to receive email notifications for water rights?
Click here to view the complete instructions for receiving notifications. more...
I want to build a house and need a well. What do I need to do?
You must have a water right to divert and use water in the State of Utah. Water well drillers are licensed and cannot drill a well unless permission to drill has been obtained from the State Engineer. more...
I understand I need to buy a water right. How do I go about it?
Water rights are classified as “real property” in the state of Utah and are bought and sold much like real estate. Many real estate agencies will have listings for water rights much as they do for properties. more...
How do I know if a water right I’m thinking about buying is a “good one”?
Some issues you should be particularly aware of when persuing the purchase of a water right are verification of ownership and water use. more...

Current Issues
Public Meeting - Unclaimed Rights in Provo River, Midway Subdiv. - A55 Bk 10 more...
Public Meeting - Proposed Determination Daniels Creek - Area 55 Bk 11 more...
Public Meeting - Proposed Determination Completed - West Murray - A57 Bk19 more...
Adoption of a groundwater management plan for Cedar City Valley more...
Map of Culinary Water Service Areas more...
Public Meeting Re: Recent Hydrogeologic Study & WR Policy for Ogden Valley more...
We are still open, but our public assistance has changed
to protect you and us:

1) All services are available by mail or drop box at any of our offices.
An appointment is required for a visit to one of our offices. At this time we can more effectively assist you over the phone.

2) Many services are available online.

3) If you have proof of beneficial use due by the end of the month, or need to file an extension of time to submit proof, please note that proofs can be submitted by email to waterrights@utah.gov and extensions of time to submit proof can be completed online here.

Please first contact us by telephone or email to conduct business (contact list).

Welcome to the Division of Water Rights

The Utah Division of Water Rights (DWRi) is an agency of Utah State Government within the Department of Natural Resources that administers the appropriation and distribution of the State's valuable water resources.

The mission of the Division of Water Rights is to provide
order and certainty in the beneficial use of Utah's water.
Groundwater Management in Cedar City Valley, Iron County
On January 11, 2021, the State Engineer
adopted a groundwater management plan for
Cedar City Valley in Iron County.

Click here to view the plan,
and additional information.

Office Hours
The Division of Water Rights office hours are from
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Our office is closed for Federal and State holidays.

Please use the contact list to make arrangements.


      Applications, Forms

      Informative Brochures

      Training Videos

      Map Search
Policies by Water Right Area
Locate Water Right Policies by an interactive map.

Click here for details.