Proof of Beneficial Use


A Proof of Beneficial Use (proof) must be submitted on all applications to appropriate, change applications, and exchange applications. A proof is a sworn statement that describes the constructed diversion and conveyance works and the beneficial use of the water.

The two methods to submit proof are by:

  • Proof Professional
    • In many cases proof has to be completed by a professional engineer or licensed land surveyor.
    • Proof forms and other information
    • Proof Professionals List - This list shows Proof Professionals who have attended training sponsored by the Division of Water Rights within the last two years. Proof Professionals DO NOT have to appear on this list in order to be eligible to prepare a Proof of Beneficial Use. The Division of Water Rights does not endorse any specific proof professional. Proof professionals must be licensed in Utah. To check the status of a professional license check with the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.

  • Affidavit of Beneficial Use
    • Effective May 12, 2009, an applicant, in some cases, may submit an Affidavit of Beneficial Use without having to hire a professional.
    • To be eligible to file an affidavit as proof, the uses must be one residence, a quarter acre of irrigation or less, and ten head of stock or less.

Once a proof or affidavit has been processed the State Engineer will issue a Certificate of Beneficial Use.

  • A water right holder has the right to record their certificate with the County Recorder in the county where the water is being diverted.
  • Certificates Recently Issued