Licensed Well Driller Continuing Education Program

Revised: January 4, 2011

Introduction and Objectives

During each renewal cycle, licensed well drillers are required to earn at least twelve (12) continuing education credits by attending training sessions or participating in ongoing education sponsored or approved by the state engineer in order to renew their well drillerís license (Note:† only nine (9) credits are required for the transition cycle in 2005).† Participation in on-going education allows drillers to stay informed of regulatory, industry, and technological advances. Combining field experience with continuing education enhances a driller's knowledge and abilities. The primary objectives of the Utah Driller CE program are:

  • Increase protection of groundwater resources
  • Increase compliance to well drilling rules
  • Develop a minimum level of confidence among water well contractors
  • Increase protection of the well owner
  • Increase public confidence in the contractor

Utah CE Requirements

The following is a summary of CE program requirements in accordance with the well drilling rules.

  • Licensed well drillers must earn twelve (12) CE credits during a 2-year licensing cycle in order to renew their license for the next licensing cycle.
  • One (1) hour of training or education will equal one (1) CE credit, unless otherwise designated specifically by the State Engineer. This requirement also applies to education taken out of state.
  • One (1) credit will also be assigned to training courses that do not last at least one (1) hour (e.g., a 45 minute class will still be assigned one (1) CE credit)
  • During a licensing cycle, the twelve (12) required CE credits must consist of credits earned from at least two separate classes or topics
  • Licensed drillers must complete a State Engineer-sponsored "Administrative Rules for Well Drillers" review course or take-home review worksheet once every four (4) years.
  • A licensed driller who teaches a CE course will receive credit on a 3:1 ratio up to five credits for every hour of training. For example, if a driller teaches a one hour course, he will receive three CE credits for his effort
  • CE credits cannot be carried over from one licensing period to another
  • CE courses must be approved by the State Engineer based on recommendations by a State Engineer-assigned Continuing Education Advisory Committee (CEAC).
  • Well drillers are responsible for obtaining and maintaining the necessary documentation for each course attended and submitting the documentation with their license renewal application at the end of each licensing cycle.

CE Credit Approval Process

The State Engineer approves training courses appropriate for CE credit based on recommendations from the CEAC. The State Engineer's office maintains a list of approved courses. This list will be updated regularly as course information is furnished to the State Engineer's office.† This list can be accessed by clicking on the Education Schedule button on this page.†

It is up to the driller to decide what, when, and where to take the appropriate training. Training/education courses should relate to occupational health and safety, business and office skills, interpersonal skills, technical aspects of the drilling industry, or other subjects that will enhance business, technical, or regulatory knowledge, skills, and abilities. A driller can look for training from members of professional associations, government agencies, private businesses, or individuals. A driller can choose from the attached list of courses, however, a driller is not limited to taking the courses that are on that list. Drillers can look for training opportunities in trade magazines, training flyers, or brochures, advertisements in newspapers or mail, and courses offered at universities. Course work can be pre-approved by the State Engineer so that a driller will know if credit will be granted for a class not on the approved list. Or a driller may choose to take the course first and then ask for CE credit approval, however, there is no guarantee that the course will be approved. The following is a list of topics that relate to well drilling that would be applicable to the CE program. This list is by no means comprehensive and is for information purposes only.

Well Drilling-Related Education Topics

Rule Understanding
Water Rights Process
Geologic Principles
Groundwater Principles 
Cuttings Identification and Description 
Map Reading and GPS Use 
Water Right Web Site Use 
Aquifer Testing 
Well Disinfection Issues 
Well Rehabilitation Issues 
Water Quality and Geochemistry 
Surface Seals 
Groundwater Contamination
Drinking Water Rules
Reg. & Local Water Issues/Requirements 
Reg. and Local Hydrogeology 
Well Abandonment 
New Technology 
OSHA Certifications
MSHA Certifications
First Aid/CPR

Drilling Muds 
Pump Systems 
Bits, Drill Pipe, Collars, Stabilizers 
Screens and Perforations 
Horizontal Drilling 
MW Construction & Environmental Regulation 
Contracting & Business Issues 
Client Relationships 
Geophysics & TVing 
Water Treatment Technology 
Rig Maintenance 
Well Maintenance 
Water Quality Sampling & Analysis 
Well Development 
Blue Stakes Training

Requesting Approval for a Training Course

It is a good idea to ask about course approval before taking the class if it is not already on the approved list. There is a form for drillers to use when asking the CEAC to evaluate a course they wish to attend. A driller is asked to provide information on the course content, instructors, and course length. The form, called the "Provider/Course Approval Form," is attached with this overview and should be used by the driller when submitting a course to be evaluated.

An instructor or provider may also ask for State Engineer's prior approval of a course. It would be useful to publicize that information when advertising the course. The same attached evaluation form can be utilized when making this request.

Obtaining, Maintaining, and Submitting Training Records

In order to receive credit for a course, the driller must obtain a record of course completion and attendance from the course instructor/provider. This proof of attendance can consist of certificates, transcripts, diplomas, and attendance rosters. If a course provider does not offer this type of documentation, the driller may use the attached "Documentation Form" as proof of class completion. If this form is used, it must be completed entirely and be signed or stamped by the instructor/provider.

It is the responsibility of the licensed driller to keep track of education records. Licensed drillers must provide these proof documents at the time of renewal application. To allow the driller and State Engineer's office to better track credits during the renewal period, the "Credit Summary Form" should be completed and submitted with the proof documents with the renewal application.

Special Conditions and Appeals

Drillers who do not renew their licenses, but who intend to renew within a 24 month period after lapsing are also required to earn twelve CE credits each cycle.

A driller may appeal the decision of the State Engineer to disallow a course approval or credits. An appeal must be made in writing and directed to the State Engineer. The CEAC and State Engineer will evaluate appeals and hold a hearing if necessary on a case by case basis.

Drillers who were not able to get the required continuing education credits because of a hardship situation may apply for an extension of time in which to acquire the required credits. The CEAC and State Engineer will review the merits of each situation and make a recommendation on whether or not the extension should be granted. Hardship claims must also be made in writing and directed to the State Engineer.

For More Information

Questions regarding the Utah Driller CE program can be directed to Jim Goddard (801-538-7314) or Liz Payne (801-538-7416). These same individuals can also be contacted with any questions or clarifications regarding the CE program requirements. Any written correspondence related to the CE program should be routed to the attention of Jim Goddard and can be faxed to 801-538-7467 or sent to Utah Division of Water Rights, PO Box 146300, SLC, UT 84114-6300.