How do I change my address on the Division of Water Right Records?
Click here to view instructions for changing your address with the Division of Water Rights. more...
How can I sign up to receive email notifications for water rights?
Click here to view the complete instructions for receiving notifications. more...
I want to build a house and need a well. What do I need to do?
You must have a water right to divert and use water in the State of Utah. Water well drillers are licensed and cannot drill a well unless permission to drill has been obtained from the State Engineer. more...
I understand I need to buy a water right. How do I go about it?
Water rights are classified as “real property” in the state of Utah and are bought and sold much like real estate. Many real estate agencies will have listings for water rights much as they do for properties. more...
How do I know if a water right I’m thinking about buying is a “good one”?
Some issues you should be particularly aware of when persuing the purchase of a water right are verification of ownership and water use. more...

Current Issues
Two Public Meetings - Unclaimed Rights in Navajo Nation Subdiv, Area 09 Book 1 more...
Public Meeting - Appropriation Policy for the Bountiful Sub-Area, Area 31 more...
Water Users Workshop and Other Conference Presentations more...
Public Meeting - Approp. Policy for the Weber Delta Sub-Area, Areas 31, 35 more...
Adjudication Q&A Sessions in Francis on 2/23, 2/28, 3/7 for Areas 55-14, 15 more...
Public Meeting - Appropriation Policy for the Bear River Basin - Area 25 more...
Welcome to the Division of Water Rights

The Utah Division of Water Rights (DWRi) is an agency of Utah State Government within the Department of Natural Resources that administers the appropriation and distribution of the State's valuable water resources.

Recent Staff Presentations
Division of Water Rights staff members recently presented at the Utah Water Users Workshop and other conferences.

Presentation slides are available here.

Governor's Proclamation 2022-01
On November 3, 2022, Governor Spencer Cox issued a proclamation suspending new appropriations of surplus and unappropriated waters in the Great Salt Lake Basin pursuant to Utah Code 73-6-1.

To read the press release from the Governor's office, click here.

To read the proclamation, click here.

Office Hours
The Division of Water Rights office hours are from
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Our office is closed for Federal and State holidays.

Please use the contact list to make arrangements.


      Applications, Forms

      Informative Brochures

      Training Videos

      Map Search
Policies by Water Right Area
Locate Water Right Policies by an interactive map.

Click here for details.